The internet is great for lots of things, however, when it comes to getting the facts about female hair loss, the internet can sometimes be a scary place. Unfortunately, there are lots of myths out there about female hair loss, so we decided to review some of the most common ones and tell you the facts.
- Hair loss is only a problem for men – This could not be further from the truth. While female hair loss is not discussed as often as male hair loss, women make up 40% of the hair loss sufferers in the US.
- You receive your hair loss genes from your mother’s family – Unfortunately, genetic hair loss can come from both your mother or your father.
- Genetics are the cause of my hair loss – While the majority of women experiencing hair loss do have androgenic alopecia (genetic hair loss), there can be many causes for hair loss including, but not limited to, diet, medication, lifestyle, hormonal changes, or over styling hair.
- Hair loss is permanent – The good news is that it is not true that hair loss is always permanent. The first step is determining the type of hair loss and the cause, but in many cases, there can be some regrowth. However, the longer you wait the more difficult it is to see complete regrowth.
- Showering too much causes hair loss – It is important to know that showering and washing your hair does not cause hair loss. However, if you only wash your hair a few times a week, it may look as if you have shed excessively, but in reality, you are just washing away hairs that you have shed since your last shampoo.
While these are only some of the more common myths, there are many other myths out there about female hair loss. If you have any questions or concerns it is best to speak to a hair loss specialist that can help you determine fact from fiction.
Posted by Your Medi Tresse Team